Sidewalk Cafes & Parking Patios
A valid City of Saskatoon Commercial Business License is required in order to receive a Sidewalk Cafe or Parking Patio license, which is non-transferable and valid only for the location specified on the license. The purpose of the license is to ensure Sidewalk Cafes and Parking Patios are established in a safe and orderly manner and to promote pedestrian uses and increase street-level activity.
Standards to Consider before starting a Sidewalk Cafe or Parking Patio
- Sidewalk Cafes and Parking Patios shall be located adjacent to an existing restaurant and shall be considered an accessory use, and shall be operated for no longer than the operating hours of the principle use to which it is an accessory.
- The operator of a Sidewalk Cafe or Parking Patio must carry a minimum of $2,000,000 liability insurance.
- A minimum clear passage way of not less than 2.0 metres for pedestrians shall be maintained between the curb (sidewalk cafes only) or any physical obstruction such as utility poles, fire hydrants, bus shelters, parking meters, trees, benches or garbage receptacles.
- Perimeter fences shall not exceed 1 metre in height and cannot obstruct vehicular view angles.
- Parking Patios require placement of concrete barriers and traffic glow posts at the discretion of the Transportation and Utilities Department.
*Please visit the Sidewalk Cafe and Parking Patio Guidelines for the full list of standards.
Sidewalk Cafe & Parking Patio License Fees
There is no additional fee to apply for a Sidewalk Cafe or Parking Patio license. It is considered an addition to the existing Commercial Business License. Parking Patios are required to pay all required parking meter hooding fees prior to issuance of a license. Parking Services charges $14.40 per day for the first month the space is occupied. Following the initial one month period the fee is reduced to $12.96 per paid parking day. Paid parking days are Monday to Saturday, excluding statutory holidays.
Once your application is received, it will be referred to the following agencies for approval:
- Saskatoon Health Region
- Saskatoon Police Service
- Saskatoon Fire Department
- Internal City Departments – Transportation and Utilities Department and Neighbourhood Planning
- If applicable, the application will also be forwarded to Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority, Saskatoon Light & Power, and the local Business Improvement District.