You are here

Land Use Complaints

The Community Standards Division is responsible for managing and enforcing the City of Saskatoon Zoning Bylaw. As such, Community Standards receives complaints relating to property use and site development concerns in Saskatoon. The goal of the enforcement program is to work with citizens to correct Zoning Bylaw violations and help to resolve land use conflicts between neighbours. Some of the more frequent complaints include:

  • illegal dwelling units 
  • vehicle repair in residential areas 
  • site development concerns (fence heights, etc.) 
  • signs (portable and permanent) 
  • large vehicles parking in residential areas 
  • illegal home based businesses

How to Lodge a Land Use Complaint

If you would like to lodge a complaint about a Zoning Bylaw violation, please contact Community Standards at 306-975-2645.

Why do we Require Contact Information

When lodging a complaint, you must be prepared to provide your name and contact information, the address of the subject property, and an explanation of the violation, including as much detail as possible. Community Standards does not accept anonymous complaints. The contact information is kept confidential, and is important because:

  • we may have additional questions;
  • we may need you to help gather evidence;
  • we can update you about our findings, progress and timelines; and
  • it can help us determine the severity of the offence.

Legal Action

Although legal action remains a possible course of action for all Zoning Bylaw violations, it is generally considered a last resort. Property owners are given the opportunity to resolve land use violations on their own. The amount of time provided depends upon the nature of the violation. However, if a property owner refuses to resolve an issue within the prescribed timeline, or if a property owner repeats an offence, legal action may be considered.