Pleasant Hill Village
Pleasant Hill Village is located 1.6km due west of Downtown along 20th Street West, across from St. Paul’s Hospital in the heart of the Pleasant Hill neighbourhood. The project started in 2006 when federal, provincial, and municipal governments partnered with the Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division to acquire and redevelop the 13-acre site. Pleasant Hill Village is now about 75% finished, with completion anticipated in 2020. The project has close ties both to its surrounding neighbourhood and to community partners.
Pleasant Hill Village is a creative mix of many different components including a school, wellness centre, daycare, park, community garden, seniors housing and affordable family housing for purchase. It will be linked directly to Downtown and beyond by the planned multi-use pathway along the CP rail line that borders the Village.
With an estimated project value of $50 million, Pleasant Hill Village is the largest neighbourhood renewal project in Saskatoon.
There are three (3) remaining vacant developable parcels (A, C and F) within Pleasant Hill Village. These parcels were recently for sale through an Open Market (with criteria) process. No proposals were received through this process. Administration will be reviewing alternative options for housing and financing models going forward, while meeting the objective of developing the sites into owner-occupied family-oriented housing that is within reach of first time homebuyers with moderate incomes.
A Pleasant Hill Village Status Report is expected to be presented at the February 12, 2018 Standing Policy Committee on Finance meeting.
What Makes it Unique?
- Partnerships: A broad mix of partners involved in forming an integrated Concept Plan for the entire 13-acre site and implementing it together.
- Sustainability: Solar power generation and a community garden.
- Health & Wellness: A wellness centre featuring a community indoor walking track, acute and preventative health care for children and nutrition programs.
- Arts & Culture: A park which will serve as a gathering place for the neighbourhood, hosting cultural events such as the annual Pleasant Hill Pow Wow in June.
- Affordability: A variety of home ownership opportunities for entry-level homebuyers.
- Parkview Green Homes (24 units family housing)
- Pleasant Hill Solar Village (12 units family housing)
- Columbian Place (75 units seniors housing)
- St. Mary’s Wellness & Education Centre (elementary school, daycare, wellness centre)
- Grace Adam Metawewinihk Park
- Community Garden
- Neighbourhood Entry Sign (constructed with bricks from the historic St. Mary's school)
- Western Economic Diversification, Government of Canada
- Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools
- Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Saskatchewan Housing Corporation
- Knights of Columbus
- Saskatoon Health Region
- CHEP Good Food Inc.
Junction Improvement Strategy
Approved by Council in April 2014, the Junction Improvement Strategy outlines City improvements and land-use plans in the area immediately surrounding Pleasant Hill Village, such as:
- Pedestrian safety improvements at intersections along 20th Street and elsewhere.
- Streetscape improvements along 20th Street.
- Lands across the rail tracks to the south transitioning away from heavy industrial use.
- Building the multi-use pathway along the CP Rail line to connect to Downtown and beyond.