Cynthia Block is a graduate of the University of Saskatchewan, a journalist and a communications specialist. She has had a life-long interest in public policy, and a strong preference to use evidence and data to drive decision-making. On Council, her priority issues include basic services, sustainability, indigenous reconciliation and downtown revitalization.
Cynthia would like City Council to focus on a longer time horizon in decision-making. Through partnerships with other levels of government, business, industry, community groups, residents and organizations in the surrounding geographical area, we have an opportunity to build a more modern, progressive and sustainable 21st century city.
Cynthia is married with two teenaged children and Belle, a great Shepherd-cross. Free time is often spent on the spectacular Meewasin Trail.
City of Saskatoon Boards & Committees:
- Standing Policy Committees: Finance, Transportation
- Boards: Remai Modern, Broadway Business Improvement District (BID), DTN YXE Business Improvement District (BID)
- Committees: Cultural Diversity and Race Relations, Albert Community Centre
Cynthia is a former CTV news anchor and has worked with the Office of the Treaty Commissioner to write and produce Teaching Treaties in the Classroom. She has been involved in dozens of charities and community events. Here are a few:
- Board Work: YMCA, YWCA, Saskatchewan Brain Injury Association.
- Committee Work: Inter-Provincial Association on Native Employment, Youth Soccer
- Civic Events: Lieutenant Governor’s Centennial Arts Celebration, CIS University Cup (National Men’s Hockey Championship), Riderville North 101st Grey Cup