Mairin Loewen was first elected to Council in 2011, and was re-elected in 2012 and 2016. She grew up in Ward 7 and attended school there before moving to Ottawa to attend University. Mairin has a B.A. in Political Science (Carleton University) and an M.A. in Political Studies (University of Saskatchewan). Mairin has worked for the Province of Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan Medical Association, and the University of Saskatchewan.
Mairin is a co-founder and active volunteer with Girls Rock Saskatoon, and has also volunteered with CFCR Community Radio, the Open Door Society, and the Heart of the City Piano Program. In her spare time she likes playing music and sports. Mairin lives in Ward 7 with her partner and son.
City of Saskatoon Boards & Committees:
- Chair, Standing Policy Committee on Environment, Utilities, and Corporate Services
- Standing Policy Committee on Finance
- Municipal Planning Commission
- Board of Police Commissioners
- Saskatoon Police Pension Plan Board of Trustees
Mairin shares the Environmental Sustainability portfolio with Councillor Sarina Gersher under Council’s Leadership Model. This work includes taking steps in transforming our position as one of the highest emitters of greenhouse gas emissions to a model city of innovation in energy conservation, renewables, and waste diversion.
Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Standing Committees
- Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development
- Increasing Women’s Participation in Municipal Governance
- Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy
External Boards and Committees:
- Meewasin Valley Authority Board of Directors
- Remai Modern Art Gallery Board of Directors
- Partners for the Saskatchewan River Basin Board of Directors
- National Zero Waste Council Management Board