|Targeted Annual Decrease||8806||8366|
How are other cities doing?
Crime rates in all Western Canadian cities increased in 2016. Although, Saskatoon and Regina continue to have the highest crime rates per capita of all Western Canadian cities.
2016 Crime Rates Relative to the Previous 5-Year Average
What do we need to do to achieve this target?
- The Saskatoon Police Service (SPS) is decreasing crime as one of four priority areas in their 2015–2019 Business Plan to create a safe and secure community. Reducing robberies, thefts, and mischief will be emphasized to reduce overall crime.
What are the benefits of achieving the target?
Less crime means fewer victims and an increase in the sense of public safety. Less crime reduces costs associated with the following:
- Stolen and damaged property
- Medical system usage due to drug use and violent crime
- Criminal justice costs for courts, prosecution, prisons, etc.
- Productivity losses including lost wages
- Intangible costs including pain and suffering