You are here


 COVID-19 Response for Saskatoon Residents

On March 19, 2020, the City decided to close public access to City Hall and all City buildings, including fire stations, leisure facilities, attractions and Saskatoon Public Library locations. While we are closed to the public, our business operations continue to ensure core services for our residents as much as possible. Public transit currently remains operational.

Information for Voters

Municipal elections and school board trustee elections occur every four years, or at any time (through a by-election) should a vacancy on City Council or on one of the school boards occur.

Qualification of Voters

You can vote in City of Saskatoon municipal elections if, on the day of the election, you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are at least 18 years old
  • have been a resident of the City of Saskatoon for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election
  • have been a resident of the Province of Saskatchewan for at least six consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election

If you live outside Saskatoon but have owned assessable land in Saskatoon for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the day of the election, you can vote for Mayor and Ward Councillor. You are not eligible to vote for School Boards if you do not live in the city. You can only vote once in a municipal election in Saskatoon, regardless of how many properties you own.

In order to vote for the Separate School board in Saskatoon, you must be of the religious faith of the minority that established the Separate School Division which means you must be of the Roman Catholic faith. If you are of the Ukrainian or Chaldean Catholic rites, or your faith recognizes the Pope as the leader of your church, you are considered to be a member of the minority Catholic faith, thereby becoming an elector for the Roman Catholic separate school board.

There is no voters list. At your polling station, you are required to provide appropriate identification (see below) and to sign a declaration that you are eligible to vote.

Voter Identification

All voters must provide identification to be eligible to vote. The purpose of voter identification is to provide proof of identity and to establish residency. Government-issued photo identification is your best option but there are other alternatives available.

Option I:

  • One original piece of identification that includes your photo, name and address.
  • Identification must be issued by a federal, provincial, or municipal government, such as a Saskatchewan driver’s license.

If your identification does not meet these criteria it will not be recognized as an acceptable form of photo identification.

If you do not have a driver’s license, you may obtain photo identification from Saskatchewan Government Insurance at little or no cost.

Option II:

  • Two original pieces of information, both of which must contain your name and at least one that contains your address. Examples of acceptable identification options include a utility bill issued to you within the last six months, and a credit card statement.

Option III:

If you do not possess any form of acceptable identification, you may have another voter vouch or provide assurance of your identity and address for you. In this case, the following requirements must be met:

  • You must be accompanied by another voter who has acceptable identification
  • The voter who is vouching for you must be entitled to vote in Saskatoon
  • A form to vouch for another voter must be completed. These forms are available at the polling station.
  • Download the voter ID list below for more information about vouching

 Click here to dowload a complete list of acceptable voter ID.


The residence of a person is the place that person normally resides.  A person who is temporarily absent from the place where he or she normally resides does not lose his or her residence.  If a person has more than one home in the province, that person must choose one as his or her residence.

Where do I vote

You must vote in the poll in which you live. If you reside outside of the City of Saskatoon but are eligible to vote for the municipal election because you own property within the city, you must vote in the poll in which the property is located. Even if you own more than one property in the city, you can only vote once. At your polling station you will be required to sign a declaration that you are eligible to vote.

Due to the ward boundary review undertaken in 2019, exact voting locations will be updated in 2020.

Advance Polls

An advance poll provides voters the opportunity to vote at a time prior to the actual Election Day. 

Advanced Poll dates, times, and locations will be updated in 2020.

Homebound Voting

City Council has established a mobile poll for homebound voting for voters who, due to disability or limited mobility, are unable to leave their residence to vote at an established polling place.  Their resident caregivers may also vote using this service.

Dates homebound voting will be conducted will be updated in 2020. 

Mail-in Ballots

If you are a qualified voter (see above) and you anticipate being unable to vote at an advance poll or on the day of the election, you can still participate in the 2020 municipal election by way of a mail-in ballot.

Dates and process for mail-in ballots will be updated in 2020.

How to Vote

Visit your polling station and do the following 3 steps:

Step 1:

  • present your ID
  • register
  • receive your ballot

Step 2:

  • go to a voting booth
  • market your ballot for mayor, councillor, and school board trustee

Step 3:

  • take your ballot to the tabulator to be automatically counted

You've voted!

Assistance for Voters with Disabilities


The City will be using new and modern voting equipment for the 2020 elections. More details regarding accessible voting will be forthcoming in 2020.

Students & Voting

The Local Government Election Act, 2015 section 4, subsection (8): If a person leaves his or her place of residence in another province or territory of Canada to study at an educational institution in Saskatchewan, the person is deemed to have acquired an ordinary residence in Saskatchewan for the duration of his or her studies. 

A student at our universities and colleges in Saskatoon who has moved to Saskatoon to study is able to vote if on the day of the election he or she is:

(a) a Canadian citizen
(b) at least 18 years of age

Note: There will two advance poll days at Place Riel, 1 Campus Dr. Saskatoon, SK. If your 18th birthday is after October 18 but on or before October 26, you are able to vote at the advance poll.