At the City of Saskatoon Archives, we work to preserve and provide access to the historical records of the City of Saskatoon, as well as to those of historically significant individuals and organizations in Saskatoon. The Archives is open to the public during business hours. Staff will also provide research assistance by post, by email or over the telephone.
The archives contains records from the City of Saskatoon and its predecessor bodies dating back to 1902, and includes maps, plans, letters, reports, agreements, contracts, minutes, and directories documenting the history and growth of our city and the decisions made by the civic government and administration.
Records available for research include:
- City Council and committee minutes (1902 - present)
- City bylaws (1903-1985)
- Engineering reports
- Fire Insurance Maps (1907-1963)
- Reports to Council
- Town of Sutherland records (1910-1956)
- Tax Assessment Rolls (selected, from 1906-1955)
- Aerial photographs (1927-1987)
- City maps, street and subdivision plans
- Building plans
- Burial records
- Voters lists (1909-1988)
- Henderson directories and telephone books (1909-present)
- Municipal Manuals and annual reports
Private collections donated to the Archives include records from such organizations as the Meewasin Valley Authority, the 1989 and 1971 Canada Games, the Senator Sid Buckwold Collection and others.
Reference and Research Services
Donating Records to the Archives
The City Archives accepts donations of historical records relating to the City of Saskatoon, for example:
- Photographs and documents relating to city staff, departments and officials, civic structures and facilities, and civic-related events;
- Records of businesses, families and individuals with strong ties to the City of Saskatoon;
- Letters, diaries, photographs and other material from the very early history of Saskatoon;
- Photographs relating to the Meewasin Valley Authority;
- Photographs from the 1989 Jeux Canada Games and the 1971 Canada Winter Games;
- Photographs and other records relating to city planning and to the growth and development of Saskatoon
- Photographs and records relating to the Town of Sutherland before 1956;
- Photographs and records relating to the RM of Cory and to the early history of Montgomery Place;
- Maps and aerial photographs of Saskatoon and area;
- Other related material
For more information about how you can help to improve the documentary heritage of our city, please contact us.