You are here
The City of Saskatoon currently has a Drainage Bylaw as well as various regulatory standards and guidelines regarding drainage and elevation. However, there is no comprehensive regulatory-compliance model to apply the available standards and thereby control drainage in new or existing developments. This lack of regulation and enforcement ability creates drainage problems in new and existing developments and, without an authoritative body in place, it leads to many neighbour disputes. In addition, rapidly growing neighbourhoods and the steady increase of infill developments require clear regulation and enforcement to maintain quality of life and ensure proper ownership and stewardship of drainage-related issues.
There will be three phases to this project:
- Phase 1 – Public education and specification review
- Anticipated Completion: Fall 2019
- Phase 2 – Building permit process review related to grading and property drainage
- Anticipated Completion: Spring 2020
- Phase 3 – Amendments to Bylaw No. 8379 (Drainage Bylaw) as necessary
- Anticipated Completion: spring 2021
Engagement, both internal to the City and with external stakeholders, is expected to be needed at various points within each project phase.