This posting has closed.
Assistant Plant Operator (Internal)
Department or Division: Saskatoon Water
Term: Permanent full-time
- Monitors the Water Treatment Plant and remote pump station operations, alarm systems, plant security systems and telephones by utilizing the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems. Reviews and compiles manually generated reports and SCADA system reports.
- Observes and inspects instrument readouts and plant equipment. Makes minor repairs, as required.
- Performs routine maintenance of process equipment and related areas, e.g. slaker washing, filters and cleaning turbidity units.
- Collects water samples on a routine basis and performs water quality tests.
- Operates standby equipment during planned power shutdowns and emergency situations.
- Inspects and controls heating boilers, as required.
- Participates in training, e.g. operating procedures, equipment operation and safety, and staff meetings, as required.
- Performs the duties of the Plant Operator, as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Class 3 Water Treatment Operator Certification plus four years’ water treatment experience, two of the four years acting as an Assistant Plant Operator or a Plant Operator at a Water Treatment Plant, with recent experience in the last six months at a Water Treatment Plant.
Graduation from a recognized two-year post-secondary program in a related field (water resources engineering technology, environmental engineering technology, chemical engineering technology or civil engineering technology), successful completion of Class 3 Water Treatment Operator Exam plus two years’ experience acting as an Assistant Plant Operator or a Plant Operator at a Water Treatment Plant, with recent experience in the last six months at a Water Treatment Plant.
- Possession of a Certificate of Completion for the California State University courses for Operation of Water Treatment Plants Volumes I and II.
- Possession of a valid, recognized first aid certificate.
- Possession of a valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
- Current driver’s abstract from SGI demonstrating a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of water treatment procedures, operations and general practices for the care and safe operation of plant equipment.
- Knowledge of methods, chemicals, materials and tools used in water treatment.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures
- Ability to perform minor repairs on plant equipment.
- Ability to record meter readings and make arithmetic calculations accurately.
- Ability to work with hazardous chemicals such as ammonium hydroxide, lime and chlorine.
- Ability to remain calm during emergency situations.
- Ability to supervise the work of subordinate staff and assume responsibility for the operation of the shift.
- Ability to deal tactfully and communicate effectively with other employees and the public.
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties.
Salary: $5,414.34 to $5,856.16 per month (2016 rates).
Closing Date: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 5:00 pm
Labour Group: CUPE 47