2019 Civic Pancake Breakfast Raises $4,650 for United Way- Saskatoon & Area!
Although everyone agrees that today’s rain is much appreciated, we would have preferred sunshine this morning! Nonetheless, thanks to everyone who came out today, you helped to make this day much brighter, and the City of Saskatoon’s Annual Civic Pancake Breakfast another great success!
We served up a total of 981 hearty pancake and sausage breakfasts and of course, lots of hot coffee! We’re very proud to report that patrons, volunteers, and valued sponsors of our 45th Pancake Breakfast today, successfully raised $4,650 (including tips) for the United Way - Saskatoon and Area.
Our teams are proud to strive for a zero-waste annual event using compostable, recyclable and reusable supplies. The final waste tally/results for this year are as follows:
- 94.09 kg of organics (compostables) - all dishes, utensils, natural latex gloves, napkins, wooden stir sticks, coffee & juice cups, coffee filters, and coffee grounds
- 24.85 kg total weight of recyclable materials - all cardboard boxes, juice boxes (tetra paks), coffee cream cartons, plastic jugs, and whipped cream containers
- 7.71 kg minimal bag of waste was generated due to non-compostable/non-recyclable items
This year’s waste characterization breakdown was 73.7% organics/compostable and 20.3% recycling, with only 6% attributed to waste.
Last year’s Civic Pancake Breakfast donation to the United Way - Saskatoon and Area was $6,000, having served up 1268 breakfasts.
The City of Saskatoon extends a grateful thank you to all our valued breakfast sponsors who offered their generous support:
- Federated Co-operatives Limited
- Van Houtte Coffee Services
- Sheraton Cavalier
- Handy Special Events
- Loraas Recycle
- Saskatoon Visitor and Convention Bureau (Tourism)
- Compass Group Canada
- Saskatoon Media Group
- Rawlco Radio
- Saskatoon City Employees Credit Union
- CUPE 59
- Saskatoon Firefighters Local 80
- Exempt Staff Association (ESA)
- Saskatoon Civic Middle Management Association (SCMMA)
The City of Saskatoon is committed to environmental stewardship; we work together to implement environmentally friendly and sustainable practices for the corporation and the community at large. We encourage all event organizers to also help reduce waste.
For over 50 years, United Way - Saskatoon and Area has been working to positively impact the lives of vulnerable children, youth, and their families in our community by identifying and addressing barriers.
The City is proud to donate annually to United Way - Saskatoon and Area, to help make our community better for everyone.