Property owners proposing to install a private access across a road ditch are required to obtain approval of a culvert plan through the crossing permit application process.
What is my responsibility as a property owner with a culvert under my driveway?
- Keep ditches clear in between culverts
- Keep culverts clear by removing snow and debris from culvert openings
- Follow City of Saskatoon standards for installing culverts on all new and re-constructed driveways
- Work with neighbours to resolve drainage issues
- Obtain a crossing permit from the City of Saskatoon for installing new driveways
Culvert Specifications that must be met for new installations:
1. Size: 300 mm or larger
2. Length: Maximum length of 6.0 m with side slopes at 3H:1V extending from the ends of the driveway, or a vertical wall from the driveway to the culvert bottom
3. Material: Corrugated steel, PVC, or concrete
4. Slope: Minimum grade of 0.5% along the length of the culvert