Become a Fitness Instructor
No matter what your current job is you may be eligible to become a contract Fitness Instructor or Consultant for the City of Saskatoon. It is a job for people like you, who naturally stand out and love to lead others in achieving personal goals. A teaching job where lessons are out of the ordinary and fun is mandatory.
If you are ready to make the next move, here are the positions that are suited to you:
Fitness & Wellness Consultants
A Kinesiology Degree is preferred. Kinesiology students with a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) certification may also qualify. We are currently seeking people with the following Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology (CSEP) certifications:
- Certified Personal Trainers (CPT)
- Certified Exercise Physiologists (CEP)
- Fitness Consultants: perform personal training services, weight room orientations and conduct educational workshops
- Wellness Consultants: deliver programs to First Step/Wellness program participants
Enjoy the satisfaction of working in an energized environment, promoting health and fitness to people of a variety of shapes, sizes and ages while providing safe, effective and appropriate exercises to meet the needs of a group of participants. Instructors earn good pay, learn valuable life skills and have a lot of fun while they work!
- Group Fitness Instructors: instruct land fitness, aquatic fitness, fitness yoga, exercise for older adults
- Specialized Land Fitness Instructors: instruct prenatal and postnatal exercise
How to Become a Group Fitness Instructor
Free How to Become a Certified Fitness Instructor Info Session
A free information session is held at the beginning of each season (Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter) and provides you with everything you need to know on the application process and requirements to become a Fitness Instructor!
Check out the upcoming session dates:
Fall: September 3, 2019 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Shaw Center
December 11, 2019 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m Lakewood Civic Center
Winter: January 7, 2020 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Saskatoon Fieldhouse
Spring: April 7, 2020 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Saskatoon Fieldhouse
Anyone can train to become a Group Fitness Instructor! If you believe you have what it takes, we want to help you get the qualifications you need.
The first step toward becoming a Group Fitness Instructor is simply a matter of getting certified. If you are already certified by an organization recognized by the National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA), then you're well on your way to inspiring a squad of new fitness fans of your own. The City and neighbourhood Community Associations recognize certifications from the following bodies:
- Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association (SPRA)
If you're not certified, don't worry! Simply contact the City to enroll in one of the fitness certification programs. Complete the following modules:
- Exercise Theory,
- Group Exercise Fundamentals and Specialty and/or Aquatic Exercise and/or Exercise for Older Adults, and
- Have a current Standard First Aid and CPR-Level A or C
Once completed, you're ready to apply to be a Group Fitness Instructor. Just bring in a copy of your fitness certifications and a mentoring application form (under 'related documents'). You will then be matched up with one of our fitness pros for mentoring*. Health, vitality and an invigorating job are closer than you think!
*applies to City applicants only
The Bursary Program
The City's Bursary Program provides financial incentives for qualifying participants becoming certified Group Fitness Instructors with us. Application forms are found under 'related documents'.
For more information or to get started right away, contact the Fitness Specialist by calling 306-975-7808 or by email, or check out the current Training and Certification Programs in the Leisure Guide. In the meantime, watch this short video to get you inspired:
Other Contract Positions
Become a Recreation Program Instructor
If you are interested in sharing your skills and knowledge in the area of recreation, the City is always looking for Recreation Program Instructors to teach various classes such as Learn to Skate or for specific age groups (preschool, children, youth, etc.). Certification is not required for these positions. Call 306-975-7808 or email us for more details.
Become an Instructor for your Community Association! In 3 Easy Steps…
1. Identify the sports, arts, culture and/or recreational activities you are experienced in and have an interest in teaching. Check out the Community Association section
of the Leisure Guide for examples of current classes.
3. Work and earn extra money at your convenience! Pick the program times and locations that work best for you. You can accept or decline any opportunities you are offered.